Shopkeeper Interview - Lisa of Siggada Kilims

It gives me great pleasure to introduce Lisa of Siggada Kilims for today's Milo and Mitzy shopkeeper interview.


Name: Lisa Reid

What do you do for a living? 

I sell kilims from my house in GreyLynn (Siggada Kilims) and I also freelance as a graphic designer.

How does a normal day fold out for you? 

Theres not a lot of normality to it! The beginning is always to get the kids organised and off to school. I open up Siggada to the public on Fridays and Saturdays from 10am-3pm, so those days I am pottering in my studio which is in the front room of our house. The rest of the week its a mixture of organising stock/media/paperwork/outside of hours clients if Im not out of the house freelancing at various design agencies around town. Afternoons its all about my kids and their activities, thats why Siggada is ideal for me, to be able to facilitate my kids social lives!

Who inspires you? 

I love being inspired and its always from a vast range a sources, art galleries for example leave me reeling with possibilities. Recently its been Sibella Court, the Sydney based stylist who has a gypsy heart very like my own and knows how to put a scene together especially with kilims!

What websites/blogs could we find you reading? 

I fall into this one by default really. I receive Remodelista daily via email, the clean chic aesthetic of which I greatly admire. My absolute love is Pintrest  I can loose hours at this, what a great way to see the world. Treehouses, landscapes, remarkable houses, gardens.


What is your interior style?
 
Clean lines. I like space, high ceilings, big windows that lets the light ooze in and anti clutter, I don’t do stuff for the sake of stuff. I adore eclectic mixing of styles, and artwork. To me the biggest luxury in this world is artwork, I find it so interesting to see what people collect and how they display it. So artistic homes for me are heavenly, I don’t mind if the sofa is beat up if the art is good. I also like comfy looking spaces to curl up in for cat naps in the sun.

What is your fashion style? 

You know I have learnt a lot from Trinny and Sussanah! I now know what cut suits and what doesn’t.(Thats what turning 40 does to you). Being a bit busty has its limitations and advantages so I am no slave to fashion. What Id like to put across is a casual designery look with a little bit of rocknroll mixed in. Well, thats what Id like to be giving out ha!

From your store, what is on your wish list to buy right now?

Top of my list is an antique Kuba kilim. It has the most ideal colourings (all hand-dyed with sage, blue smoke, rose, and greys) and is very precious because of its rarity. Next would be a Tavas floor cushion that I find the workmanship/style very pleasing. It has beautifully crafted over stitching. It is old and that is its charm, its utterly unique and rich in texture. You just can’t get that on the high streets.

From anywhere, what is on your wish list to buy right now?

Where to start. Obviously a big buying trip overseas would be first, but if it were to be locally I have been eying up a gorgeous mirror for over my fireplace from Zoo Warehouse on Ponsonby Road, 3 big silver trays from Citta Design for my kitchen wall (Ive always adored their design/style aesthetic), and a gorgeous big wingback chair for my studio so I can curl up and read a book in the sun in the winter.


What is your favourite holiday destination and why? 

Cinque Terre in Italy. Set on the Med clutching the cliff its extremely picturesque and feels like heaven when you are there. I have been there twice. The first time was with my best friend Merrin when we backpacked around Europe and were young and carefree and full of romantic notions. The second time was with my husband Trevor and our two boys. We were blissed out and they were a nightmare! As my eldest shoved his elbow on a medusa and screamed the beach down and I frantically raced up to the pharmacia via the piaza in my togs in front of many chicly dressed Italians - a togs togs undies moment I never want to repeat again! 

What is your favourite meal to cook or have cooked for you? 

Cevich or Kokado as they called it in Fiji when we honeymooned. Raw fish salad. Its something I don’t make at home as the kids won’t eat it (spoilsports) and yet it makes my wheels spin. 

Any 5 year plans you would like to share with us? 

To be the #1 place for New Zealanders to source their kilims and textiles. Always travel, to bring my family with me to share in the adventures. To grow my kids up to be happy balanced adolescents and to enjoy my husband each and every day.

All images via Lisa's Pinterest boards

Thank you so much for sharing that all with Lisa. Do pop over to Siggada Kilims to pick your own gorgeous rug or cushion

Amy x


Annabell Kutucu

I have always adored Annabell Kutucu hence the reason I am head over heels for this newly transformed apartment in Vienna...